East Harris County Emergency Communications (ECOM) is currently accepting applications for an exciting and challenging career opportunity in our 911 Communications Center with state-of-the-art equipment. We are seeking highly motivated individuals with a flexible schedule to fill our full-time dispatcher positions.
- Interacts with callers requesting emergency/non-emergency response or service from the community or public safety agencies. Uses established protocols and the computer-aided dispatch system to evaluate the situation and take the appropriate actions. Retrieves information from the callers and transmits information to Fire/EMS personnel.
- Follows protocols to provide emergency medical instructions to callers during high-risk situations until appropriate field responders arrive on scene.
- Monitors and maintains a positive customer service attitude with the public, user agency members, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Contributes to the mission, vision, and values of ECOM.
- Performs other related assignments, as needed or directed.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- 18 years of age
- Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation
- Preferred but not required: At least one (1) year of public safety dispatching or 911 call center experience. Other public safety field experience (Fire Department/EMS) may be considered.
- This position is assigned to a public safety critical unit that operates 24 hours a day with minimum staffing requirements and generally requires an indefinite schedule assignment to night or evening shift. All schedule assignments include weekends, holidays, and overtime.
- Shift work is required. Position is considered "Essential Personnel" which requires being on duty to respond during emergency situations including but not limited to natural and/or man made.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong communications skills with the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely in written and verbal formats.
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills in order to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, citizens, community contacts, elected officials, members of other governmental agencies, the general public and command staff members of other departments.
- Ability to exercise good judgement under pressure.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information in a discreet and professional manner while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to type at least 35 wpm
- Ability to multi-task efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to demonstrate radio, telephone, and computer systems under routine, emergency, and high stress conditions in a confined work area for long periods of time.
- Must have adequate hearing, manual dexterity and mental disposition in order to remain alert and perform all essential job functions.
- Must possess an excellent attitude and the ability to remain positive and professional when under stress, working shift work, and/or repeat negative and/or traumatic incidents.